Sunday, July 1, 2007

summertime and the livin is easy... and really, really busy!

Holy moly! Can't believe it's been almost 3 mos since I updated this thing. Lot's of things happening around Rancho McBirdie as of late... After a rough patch with some kid issues, we *seem* to have things under control again (knock on wood!) and we're cautiously optimistic that we're getting everything back on track -time will tell. Thank goodness for my meds and margi's... that's all I'm sayin'!

Summers up here on the north coast are anything but typical compared to what I grew up with in the Sacramento Valley. We get a real mixed bag when it comes to weather and it changes at a moments notice. The most obvious difference to me is the mild temperatures -high 50's to mid 60's, usually. We get lots of clouds, fog, wind... rarely does everything align and leave us with a 'typical' summer day of sunshine and warm temps. That said... we've had some awesome weather lately, we pretty much stay outside from early morning till it's too dark to see -lol!

We've been keeping busy the past couple of weeks, tearing out our front walkway, big ol' rock bordered planters and some of our lawn. Finally got our new walkway/patio poured yesterday. We had the slab stamped with a slight texture pattern. We're getting ready to go out and pressure wash all the dye powder off, so I'm kind of excited to see how it came out. Either way, it'll be nice not to have to walk through re-bar and gravel to get to the front door! :)

When we started the front yard project, Jack borrowed a backhoe from a neighbor to do all the heavy demo work. While he's had it, he's also been working on the kids' track down in the lower field. The kids have been on their dirt bikes non-stop -even the neighbor kids are hauling their bikes over to ride -it's not huge, but it's pretty cool and the kids love it!

A couple of months ago, Jack and the kids planted a beautiful vegetable garden -it's huge! With the exception of a few things, it's really filling in nicely. The bell peppers and carrots were duds this time 'round, but I think there may still be time to get some started. Yesterday, Jack and Matt got the garden weeded -no small chore! I can't wrap my head around how the weeds manage to grow *so* much faster than the stuff they've carefully tended and given all the TLC to -it's crazy I tell ya!

While the guys were busy bonding over concrete and garden chores yesterday, I spent my day running through the mall scrounging for summer wear. Granted, even on a good day, I have trouble finding clothes that I like (ie: that fit), but factor in that it's July and the stores are already getting in sweaters and clothes for fall... I was doomed before I even started. I did manage to find a couple of tops and some mediocre capri's but I swear, I must have tried on hundreds of different things. Ahhh, for the days of my youth, when I had to actually decide between items because they ALL fit! *sigh* (note to self: must start exercise regime immediately!)

Tomorrow morning I'm heading out to TN for a week or so to be with my Mom and the rest of my TN fam. I'm dreading the long flights but I spent some time wandering through Borders yesterday and bought tons of books to keep me occupied. I understand my Mom is almost constantly sleeping now so I'm sure the extra reading material will come in handy.

Tuesday, Jack is taking the kids up to Trinity Lake to spend several days with friends, boating and riding dirt bikes. I'm disappointed to miss out on that time with them but wouldn't miss this chance to see my mom for anything.

I really need to get busy, I've got lots of stuff to get done today. I've got lists to make, laundry to do, packing... yuck, the fish tank needs a good scrub,... and the fridge needs to be cleaned out... ugh... maybe I should nap first.
Okay... my update has turned into a novella and now It's past noon... oops! there goes my nap!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Have a safe trip and enjoy your time in Tennessee.

Tonya said...

glad to see you're still kicking :)
have a great trip to visit the fam
xoxo

Unknown said...

hope your trip was safe and you are enjoying your ma-time...give her my love and safe travels mein freund...