Friday, July 6, 2007

July 5th became her Independence Day

Hey all -just a quick check in to let you know that my mom quietly passed away thursday morning. Her condition began to rapidly deteriorate last friday which was when I got the call that she wasn't doing well. I had a hard time getting a flight out of our little podunk town till monday morning.

After about 13 hours of traveling, I got into Tennessee at about 11pm monday night and got to see her at about 11:30 or so. My Aunt June told me that she kept telling Mom to hang on till I could get here but, things were getting bad so fast, she wasn't sure she'd be able to -but Mom was a fighter and she held on for me. When I got to her bedside she was awake and her big smile told me that she recognized me :) she was able to hug me and sort of whisper that she was so glad to see me. I'll cherish that always.

Tuesday and wednesday she was mostly unresponsive with the exception of a couple of times she was able to let us know she wanted water, which we gave her through a modified syringe. Her system began shutting down and by thursday her breathing was so shallow it was almost imperceptible -the machine that was supplying her with oxygen was the only thing keeping her alive. At that point I made the most difficult decision of my life and decided it was time to let her go. With my Uncle Darrel, his wife Phyllis, my Aunt June, Aunt Ruby and her husband Bob and I, gathered around Mom's bed, we held her hands and said goodbye. About 30 minutes later she was finally at peace.

As difficult as these last few days have been I feel an almost strange sense of peace, myself. Aside from knowing Mom's in a better place, free from all the machines and treatments she endured multiple times a day, I'm so grateful my prayers were answered and she didn't struggle or linger on and I'm especially honored that I was with her.

Yesterday and today we've had so many visits and phone calls from people expressing their sympathy. It warms my heart to know how loved she was by so many people and I'm deeply proud to have been her daughter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leaf - I just wanted to let you know that I am so sorry for your loss and that you and your family are in my prayers. I am so happy you made it there in time to be with her and it is obvious she was glad you were there, too. What a wonderful memory to treasure. If there is anything a cyber friend can do, just ask...

Anonymous said...

leaf... I'm so sorry hun, I didn't know until now... thinking of you all xxx

Unknown said...

of course she waited for you - you were her light. loved yer ma girl, so glad you got to be with her and put her at peace.